The first day of school can be a stressful time for parents and children. Sunnyside Elementary School in Sunnyside, San Francisco has been helping to make this transition easier by implementing the following 10 tips:
- Get your child’s clothes out beforehand so they aren’t rushed when it comes to getting dressed on the first morning.
- Pack their lunch ahead of time or purchase one from Sunnyside Elementary School before you get there so that you don’t have to worry about forgetting anything important during your busy morning routine.
- Make sure all homework assignments are done the night before so that they aren’t scrambling around trying to finish them at home after school is finished for the day.
- Keep breakfast light; don’t overload with food or sugar before heading out the door. Your child will have a chance at recess to refuel, so save the cereal bars and juice boxes until after school ends. And avoid anything messy, nothing that’s going to stain clothing or require extra clean-up time during those crucial minutes before class starts again.
- Encourage students at the start of each week to establish clear, measurable, and attainable goals. Check in with them periodically to ensure they’re making progress and offer help to students who are struggling.
- In conjunction with other organizations in our community, we have developed a program called “The Buddy Bench” which allows every student to find someone to play with during recess. Now everyone gets a chance to participate instead of just those lucky enough to already have friends.
- To be successful, at Sunnyside, we encourage students to enjoy coming to school, be prepared to work, and actively participate in their learning. We encourage students to take school seriously and do their best. We believe the classroom should be a place where students feel excited, self-motivated, and curious about the world. We want our students to feel safe taking chances and bouncing back from frustrations. We help them become capable problem-solvers and effective team players.
- Parents, you’re not alone. The first day of school can be a stressful time for parents and children alike. It’s important to have your child prepared with the right gear, attitude, and mindset before they enter the classroom on that first day. Sunnyside is here to help.
- Tell your youngster it’s natural to be nervous or concerned about being away from home, and offer her a personal item or a family photograph to take with her to school.
- A pleasant outdoor activity with a buddy or carpooling with a buddy might assist ease the daily transition from home to school. Finding a schoolmate who can assist decrease anxiety about being alone in the new environment is also beneficial.
View this post on Instagram
Practice makes perfect
Suggests that moms who may be stressed during the first days of school spend some time thinking about what the root cause of their anxiety is and what they can do to soothe it.
When Sunnyside Elementary School opened in Sunnyside, San Francisco, there were many challenges to overcome. Many of the students came from low-income families and they had never been exposed to educational opportunities before. The school was overcrowded with a student body that needed extra help adjusting to this new environment. Teachers struggled along with them as Sunnyside Elementary got off on the wrong foot.
However, Sunnyside Elementary has worked hard over time building relationships within their community that has allowed them to build their success upon those initial struggles by focusing on helping parents make this transition easier for kids through these top ten tips.
View this post on Instagram
If you’re not convinced yet, give us a call today and we can tell you more about our school. Our goal is to make sure students are happy in their educational environment while they learn the skills of academic success. Whether it be providing nutritious lunches or an enriching after-school program, we want all of our students to feel like family here at Sunnyside Elementary School. To find out how enrolling could help your child achieve his or her goals, please reach out -we would love to talk with you soon.
San Francisco, California is blessed to have so many amazing elementary schools! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Miraloma Elementary School
- Ulloa Elementary School
- Jose Ortega Elementary School
- Monroe Elementary School
- Sunnyside Elementary School
- Longfellow Elementary School
- Dianne Feinstein Elementary School
- Sheridan Elementary School
- Guadalupe Elementary School
All of these wonderful schools are located just a short distance from our location at 385 Ashton Avenue in San Francisco! Stop by for a visit anytime!